Saturday 26 March 2016

Jack ( Flash Fiction )














I once had a bear called Jack.




When I first got him he whispered in my ear that his main purpose in life was to be the keeper of all my secrets. I was dubious at first so I wrote a list so that we both knew where we stood.




1   I shall whisper my secret once and once only. No repeats.


2  You shall never reveal any of my secrets to a third party as long as we both shall live.


3  You are my bear and nobody else's. You are the keeper of my secrets only.





He kept his word but as I got older he grew fatter with all my secrets until one day his stomach came open and my secrets fell out. I did the best I could but it was too late. My secrets were all over the neighbourhood. They developed a life of their own and I couldn't stop them.
                       Jack didn't die but I think he saw a little glimpse of Heaven. He was devastated and has never spoken to me since. Even though I sewed his stomach back together again he is no longer capable of holding my secrets. I whisper them into his ear and they come back out again. I now have nobody to keep my secrets. I have to keep them myself but I am putting on weight and no matter how much I try I can't lose it.



It's the secrets. They are building up inside and are preparing for the big day when my stomach will burst open like Jack's. I'm waiting for it to happen. Jack is too but is too scared to say anything. Maybe I will also catch a little glimpse of Heaven.






                                                                              



                                                         (C) Ally Atherton 2016













289 words written for the Light And Shade Challenge. Check it out and maybe join in the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment